The Albany skyline.
A founding principle of New York States of Mind is that there’s more than one way of looking at the same thing. Meet two of NYSOM’s friends in Albany: Judy and Jodi. Read on for their unique Albany states of mind, verbatim.
The best resources for learning about Albany:
Your go-to locale for…
- JODI drinks: Stagecoach.
- A night out with friends:
- JUDY heads to: Creo. It has a great tuna dish.
- Date night:
- A glass of wine or cocktail:
The hotel you always book or recommend to friends, and why:
- JUDY sends guests to: Union Gables [in] Saratoga Springs. It’s elegant, but cozy and inviting. And it’s just down the street from the Saratoga Race Course…no better place [to be] during the Saratoga racing season.
The ONE thing visitors must see or do, and why:
- JUDY directs people to: The State Capitol building. With new paintings and lighting, the second floor hallways have been refurbished to look like the magnificent galleries of the Metropolitan Museum.
- JODI sends friends to: Troy Night Out: [It’s] local and fun.
Your favorite hidden (or not so anymore) gem, and why:
- JUDY treasures: The Writers Institute at the State University at Albany, set-up by Pulitzer Prize-winner William Kennedy. The best writers in the world give readings and seminars. And it’s free!
Number of hours or days required in town for the “full” experience:
- JUDY declares: 4 hours will cover the highlights.
- JODI says: 6 [hours]
The town is great for what type of visitor:
- Mostly those interested in politics or political history. [However,] it’s a great jumping-off point to explore Saratoga [Springs], the Adirondacks or the Hudson Valley.
JODI thinks Albany is perfect for people who like to:
- CELEBRATE (the host with the most/ladies who lunch)
- DECORATE (the shopper with great style)
- RECREATE (the adventure-seekers and fitness gurus)
- And who: Historicate! Albany has wonderful tours and history, beyond the “curate” title above. I recommend Quackenbush Square or a local boat tour.
The town is best explored by…
- JUDY: Car
- JODI: Foot
The town is best explored in what season?
- JUDY: Spring, Summer.
- JODI: Autumn.
[Photo Credit: Wikipedia.]